Chief is an antagonist, later a supporting protagonist in the 1981 Disney film, The Fox and the Hound and a minor antagonist in the 2006 midquel. He is Amos Slade's oldest pet dog and henchman and Copper's mentor and adoptive father.
He was voiced by the late Pat Buttram in the first film and voiced by Rob Paulsen in the midquel.
While he is barking, he was voiced by Frank Welker although it was uncredited.
- Although Chief was Amos Slade's oldest pet, he was younger than Copper in the book.
- Chief never speaks to Tod in the original film, however, he spoke to Tod in the midquel.
- Chief has the same breed as Sparky from Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure as they are both Irish Wolfhounds.
- Chief was originally going to die in the original film by getting killed by a train, however, same with Trusty from Lady and the Tramp, the directors have decided it would be too intense for children, so Chief surivived and he was only injured after getting knocked off a cliff by a train and he did not die.
- In the movie, Chief had a broken leg and surivived from The Train, however, Chief died in the novel.
- It is possible that Chief learned that Tod was not a bad fox after all.