Professor Robert Callaghan, better known as Yokai, is the main antagonist of Big Hero 6. He is the head of the San Fransokyo Institute for Technology and is voiced by James Cromwell.
Role in the filmEdit
- He is based on Lord Deathstrike from the original Big Hero 6 comic books. This would make him the first Disney villain to ever have roots from Marvel Comics.
- His alias, Yokai, means "spirit" or "demon" in Japanese.
- Callaghan acts as a dark counterpart to Hiro. Both are brilliant inventors who end up suffering a tragic loss of a loved one (Tadashi for Hiro and Abigail for Robert). However, while Hiro eventually learns to accept his loss and change before he can fall into darkness, Robert stubbornly refuses to accept Abigail's loss, having been pushed too far into corruption to change. However, upon seeing his daughter while being arrested, he seems to show some regret, hinting that he may change or not.
- In production, Callaghan was originally known as "Dr. Martin Lebur".
- Among the scripts and concept arts of Yokai, some of them depicted Yokai with slightly different powers: Instead of using masses of microbots, he uses what appeared to be liquid living biomass that's similar to the Venom and Carnage Symbiotes from Marvel Comics, but how he controls them is nowhere to be different.
- Originally, Professor Callaghan/Yokai was going to put together a team of San Fransokyo's greatest criminals including Mr. Yama, but was changed to a solo act.
- His alias Yokai was never mentioned directly in the film, it is only in the merchandising of the film.